Ten Things to Help Cope With Unpleasant Debates
1. Ignore rumors. Get the facts first-hand from the sources.
Don't seize them by the throat too tightly. Keep the shaking brisk but light.
2. Treat others as you expect to be treated.
If I said something that stupid, I'd expect you to knock me through a wall.
3. When debate doesn't work, agree to disagree and walk away.
It takes some time to think up five hundred synonyms for Pinhead.
4. Ignore people who trash you for your opinion.
Remember where they live.
5. Respect is not a given. You have to earn it constantly.
Especially seeing as they're not making a dime in this business.
6. Talk to a spouse, family member or a friend who is not affected by the issue.
Tell them the tire iron you want to borrow is for working on your car.
7. There is nothing wrong with staying out of it.
Lulls them into a false sense of security.
8. If you don't get clear, concise answers, ask for them in writing.
Use words of two syllables or less so they don't have to ask someone what you mean.
9. If you're that angry, take 24 hours to calm down.
Your cousin Joey needs at least a day to hack into their mainframe.
10. No one can tell you what to do unless you let them.
And these are people who ask for a price check in a dollar store.