Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Adventures of Miss Temminnick

Gail Carriger's latest release Etiquette & Espionage is the first book in her new Finishing School YA series. and while it's set in the same universe as her Alexia Tarabotti novels, the story takes place a good many years before the formation of the Parasol Protectorate.

The protagonist is a girl named Sophronia Angelina Temminnick, and she's a handful. I chuckled as soon as I saw her name as it brought back many happy memories of reading the adventures of Margaret Sidney's Five Little Peppers and How They Grew. Phronsie, the youngest and most adorable Pepper, was also a Sophronia, and she was always getting into mischief. For me the name was definitely a good omen.

Sophronia is the one of those "unnatural" teens who would rather dismantle a clock or pal around the stables than learn to paint watercolors and embroider. After an unfortunate but hilarious incident involving the family's dumbwaiter, Mrs. Temminnick informs Sophronia that she's being sent away to finishing school, and introduces her to the very odd lady who has arrived to whisk her off to Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality. Sophronia soon discovers that her new and highly unusual school is not what her genteel mother presumed, and that along with proper etiquette she will be taught how to courteously and covertly deceive, devise, evade disaster and definitely finish just about anything -- or anyone.

This was a delightful novel, filled from front to back with Gail Carriger's trademark wit and whimsy, and wonderful characters caught up in endless and imaginative hijinks. While you will meet much younger versions of two characters from her Alexia Tarabotti novels you don't need to read the earlier series to keep up with the story, so it works for readers who are new to this author, too. Someone had better publish a really great novel after this or I'm pretty sure Etiquette & Espionage will end up being my pick as best book of 2013.

As always you don't have to take my word for it. In comments to this post, name your favorite novel series (or if you can't think of one, just toss your name in the hat) by midnight EST on Friday, February 15th, 2013. I'll choose three names at random from everyone who participates and send the winners an unsigned hardcover copy of Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger. This giveaway is open to everyone on the planet, even if you've won something here at PBW in the past.

34 comments:

  1. Tiffany Aching and the Wee Free Men series by Terry Pratchett

    Two series by Hilary MacKay: The Exiles and The Casson Family.

    The Penderwicks series by Jeanne Birdsall

    Diana Wynne Jones many books. The 2 book series Dark Lord of Derkholm & Year of the Griffin, Chrestomanci Books, A Sudden Wild Magic, Castle in the Air, etc.

    These are enough to going on with, don't ya' think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Favorite ... still Lord of the Rings, I guess. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Picking just one is always so hard. I'm going to give it to Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga, the most recent of which, Captain Vorpatril's Alliance, was an absolute delight. Bujold's ability to keep the series fresh and balance darker themed books and lighter romps is one that makes the series an all-time favorite for multiple people in my family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shizuka8:43 AM

    RIght now, my favorite series is the Beautiful Creatures quadrilogy.
    I love Ethan's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, though Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles and anything by Richelle Meade are definite contenders. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favourite series is probably the Black Jewels series by by Anne Bishop, although the Troy Game quartet by Sara Douglass is a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like an interesting book. I'm going to have to say that the Harry Potter books are still my favorite series. I love the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:51 AM

    Right now the J. D. Robb Eve Dallas series

    Cris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynn,
    My favorite series (outside of the Darkyn) is the first series I ever read. Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern. I read it the first time when I was 13. Twenty-five years later, I can't count how many times I have re-read the series.....usually every time Anne came out with a new book!
    Tami
    Jacksonville

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rereading--for the third time--the Dark London series by Kristen Callihan (Firelight and Moonglow), because the next book, Winterblaze, is out in a few days. Totally love this series of strong women, tortured but delicious men...and great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne is my current favorite series. I have only read one of Gail Carriger's but it was delightful and I am looking forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite series are the novels by Darynda Jones and the series which features Charley. Simply captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite novel series is the Maisie Dobbs series. This series has me enthralled and is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm following a number of series, but I must say that the Parasol Protectorate was my favourite last year. I'm so looking forward to Etiquette & Espionage!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous12:37 PM

    It is a hard question because it could easily change. 'Favorite' doesn't work for me very well. Harry Dresden is up there and the Disc world books.--Liv

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous1:02 PM

    As of right now:

    Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson Series

    Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation Series

    PTN

    ReplyDelete
  17. Favorite? Favorite? Zenna Henderson's People, Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar, Laurie King's take on Sherlock Holmes... thank goodness in real life I don't have to pick a favorite. But I think I'll choose Zenna Henderson, since she also gave us "The Taste of Aunt Sophronia."

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous4:13 PM

    The Kate Daniels Series by Ilona Andrews is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My current favorite is still the Parasol Protectorate, but I also enjoy Sarah Graves's home repair mysteries. (I'd give you a better name, but I gave them all to my mom! :)

    I'm looking forward to reading Sophronia's adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anne V.5:43 PM

    SO many favorite series! Parasol Protectorate for sure, Mercy Thomson series by Patricia Briggs, anything by Rob Thurman, the Harry Dresden books by Jim Butcher, Ilona Andrews Edge series and about 4 bookshelves full of others!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oops. I thought you meant YA favorites (I even mentioned a "J" series!)

    Right now my favorite adult series is The Edge by Ilona Andrews.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Favorite series is Zenna Henderson's People.

    ReplyDelete
  23. bn1009:19 PM

    Lords of the underworld

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm re reading the Vorkosigan series by Lois Bujold McMaster. I love this series!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I read the first bit of Etiquette and Espionage last week and am SO eager to read the rest!
    I also enjoyed the Parasol Protectorate, but I think I've missed the most recent one.
    I am currently re-reading Robin D. Owen's Celta series, and slowly reading the Honor Harrington series.
    I also often re-read the series' written by Shelly Laurenston/ G. A. Aiken
    Other favorites include the Dresden Files, some of the older historical romances (Bastion Club, the Cynsters) and the Hamish MacBeth books.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Currently enjoying my THIRD re-read (since Christmas) of Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments series. I like 'em.

    - Bonz

    ReplyDelete
  27. My favorite series is probably the Horatio Hornblower series by C.S. Forester. I don't feel I should pimp out Jim Butcher or Rob Thurman any more, but I always do...Gail Carriger's series actually led me to Steven Harper's Clockwork Empire series as well as the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences series by Pip Ballantine & Tee Morris, both of which I'm having a lot of fun with at this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  28. My favorite series is Black Dagger Brotherhood by JR Ward & Demonica Series by Larisse Ione.

    I love Gail C's covers

    ReplyDelete
  29. My favorite is Nalini Singh's Psy-Changling series. Thank you for the contest

    ReplyDelete
  30. My favorite current novel series is probably Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews. My favorite all-time is the Belgariad. Wonder, comfort reading.

    ReplyDelete
  31. No need to put my name in the hat. Just wanted to say I liked the sound of this so much I ordered a copy for my niece for her 14th birthday (same age as Sophronia!) Thanks for the pointer.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oooh I need to read this, and the Parasol Protectorate. I get the best recommendations from your blog. I have so many favorites it's hard to name. Dirk & Steele, the Mercy books by Briggs, the Eve Dallas books. The Belgariad/Malloreon books still stand out as some of my all-time favorites as well.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous7:05 PM

    I am folllowing a number of different series. But three of them have books coming out in the same two weeks: Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs, the In Death series by J.D. Robb, and the historical mystery series featuring Sebastian St. Cyr by C.S. Harris.
    Sandy L

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the Ilona Andrews Kate Daniels series, as well anything by Nalini Singh.

    ReplyDelete