Friday, December 07, 2012

Wonderful Winter Reads

One of the gifts I give myself every holiday season is time to read. I've been stockpiling books in anticipation, and the new crop of winter releases has been delivering one dazzler after another to my TBR.

We finally have the fourth Lords of Deliverance novel, Rogue Rider, by Larissa Ione, and it was worth the wait. As I've been following this series I've been especially impatient to read this one, which features the story of Reseph, the Horseman formerly known as Pestilence. Yes, Res is back, although he has no idea what his evil side has been doing for the last three books. He wakes up naked in a snowbank with zero memory, and is rescued by Jillian, who is living in a remote mountain cabin while she recovers from a demon attack. I'm not saying another word about the story because I refuse to spoil it for others, but man, I love this universe and Larissa's storytelling. I really love how she redeemed this protagonist, too. And if this is going to be the last book in the series, which unless there's a fifth horseman I think it is, it's a perfect wrap-up.

Shawntelle Madison wowed me earlier this year with Coveted, her debut novel about a werewolf struggling with OCD. Now that she's released Kept, book two, she's pretty much blown me away. This novel is builds beautifully from Natalya going on a search and rescue mission for her Dad to a series of quests and obstacles and surprises that culminate into a showdown to end all showdowns. You know how we say we can't put a book down -- I was practically glued to this one. I'm so impressed with this series I'm turning into a valley girl; every time I mention it to my friends I end every other sentence with totally awesome, dude.

Linda Howard and Linda Jones have teamed up again to pen Running Wild, the first book in the Men of Battle Ridge series (in my head I keep changing that to Battle Creek. But it's not set in Michigan, the story takes place in Wyoming.) If you love romantic suspense featuring cowboys this is probably your novel of the year. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and have been handing out gift copies to every romance reader I know around town. I think this team had better write faster to keep all their fans happy.

After I skipped reading the last book in Karen Moning's Fever series -- I just didn't want to go there -- I felt guilty. I like the first couple of books and I really prefer to finish a series. As a compromise I resolved to invest in the first book of whatever came next, which is Iced. Karen continues to smash the rules to smithereens by featuring Dani O'Malley, a fourteen-year-old protagonist, but this is not YA. Oh, no, not at all. It's fun, exciting, and reminds me a lot of what I liked so much about the earlier Fever books. I totally fell for Dancer, btw; hook/line/sinker. The story also filled me in enough on what I missed with the last Fever novel that I don't have to worry about it anymore. So I'm back in, and look forward to the next installment of Dancer's supremely amazing geeky coolness Dani's adventures.

As always, you don't have to take my word for it. In comments to this post, name an author or title you're reading this winter by midnight EST on Monday, December 10th, 2012. I'll draw three names at random from everyone who participates, and send the winners unsigned paperback copies of Rogue Rider by Larissa Ione, Kept by Shawntelle Madison, Running Wild by Linda Howard and Linda Jones, a hardcover copy of Iced by Karen Marie Moning, and a surprise. This giveaway is open to everyone on the planet, even if you've won something here at PBW in the past.

37 comments:

  1. Currently reading "The Last Policeman" by Ben Winters, and enjoying it quite a bit.

    Last read "The Terror" by Dan Simmons, which was great and moody and scary...and then kind of guttered out. Hoping this book is better.

    Next on the pile: "Naamah's Curse" by Jacqueline Carey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Studying till my brains leak out my ears at the moment, but Michael Connelly's 'The Black Box', Jim Butcher's 'Cold Days', and 'Nightbred' are the top three in my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fran K4:33 AM

    I'm going to start Alyssa Day's Heart of Atlantis at lunchtime and I've also got Rogue Rider, Ember's Kiss by Deborah Cooke, Fury's Kiss by Karen Chance and Rapture by J R Ward to look forward to. But the books I'm saving for the long Christmas days when I don't have to work are Stardoc which I've finally got and the first Cal book by Rob Thurman. Ah the peace of a comfy chair, a hot cup of chocolate and a good book - perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:27 AM

    I'm reading "The Perfect Hope" by Nora Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an autographed copy of Alyssa Day's Atlantis Rising that's been gathering dust on my shelf for over a year. As soon as I finish all the partially-read books scattered around the house I'll be getting to that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn,
    Well, you have me so excited now! I have NOT started any of Larissa Ione's Horsemen series, although I have bought the first three books. I know, I know, I'm a geek and when I think there will be a set number of books in a series (like you said 4 horsemen, 4 books), I will support the author by buying the books, but I will wait until all of them are out to read them. I hate waiting for a new book to come out!!! Now that you've said the last book is out, I must have it! I haven't been by any book stores lately so I am way behind on my TBR pile. In fact, I don't even think I have a TBR pile right now 'cuz I haven't bought anything!
    Tami
    Jacksonville

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah these all sound so fun! This winter, I'm planning on curling up with the Song of Ice and Fire series FINALLY.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Siren Depths by Martha Wells is next in my to be read pile. Sequel to The Cloud Roads and The Serpent Sky, Martha's depth of world building never ceases to amaze and delight me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just placed an order that has your Nightbred in it, so there's that. Plus, Trapped by Kevin Hearne, Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia, Alien vs Alien by Gini Koch. and an older book from a series I just discovered: Kris Longknife: Deserter by Mike Shepherd. Not to mention what's already waiting in my TBR pile. It's going to be an awesome month for reading. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am currently reading the second book in Christine Henry's "Black Wings" series, but I also plan to read the next Dresden Files book, the next in Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid's Chronicles series, and about 30 other books. I've really missed pleasure reading the last couple of months. Oh, and on a side note, Dec. 10 is my birthday and books do make the best birthday presents. Just sayin'. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will be reading The Passing bells this winter. Historical and fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Up next is Linda Goodnight's "The Christmas Child," which has been on my RBR mountain since last year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My plans are to read and relax. One novel which I look forward to enjoying is Crossing on the Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have stockpiled a bunch of books from Tracy Grant for December!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am reading Storm Fire by Jessica Andersen right now. I am also planning to read Jill Shalvis' Lucky Harbor series this month.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just finished Steam and Sorcery, the first book in the Gaslight Chronicles, and now have to get the next three in the series. Suddenly I'm addicted to the romance and adventure in steampunk!

    Terrible weather, joy in the holiday season, pile of books TBR...sigh...doesn't get much better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been waiting for Shawntelle Madison's next book, since you recommended Coveted and I read it and I loved it. I'm off to see if my local library has it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I finally read a book by Patricia Briggs and now I am looking to start at the beginning of her series.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just ordered Nightbred. I am reading Running Wild right now - picked it up in the airport yesterday on my way home. I am almost finished. Enjoyable read. I have Iced waiting for me at the library. Also received a copy of Nora Robert's The Perfect Hope. I would recommend Tasha Alexander's new book. Love her Lady Emily series. Any mystery fans - try the Masie Dobbs books by Jacqueline Winspear - time period England after WWI- fascintating series.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are so good to your readers - but my TBR pile just exploded with the rec's!

    I'm currently reading Barbara Bretton's "Casting Spells". I've been meaning to pick it up for some time now, and finally made the time to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A bunch of my friends were so excited about Kevin Hearne's Trapped (Iron Druid series).

    I am reading the Bite before Christmas by Jeaniene Front & Lynsay Sands. After that I will try that book Wallbanger by Alice Clayton

    ReplyDelete
  22. I downloaded books 2-12 of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books. I wasn't "hooked" by the first two books, but as I'd borrowed 1-6 ebooks in a bundle from the library, I had to finish the set. I'm glad I did! Each book builds on the other, although someone could start anywhere in the series, and I love how Harry Dresden, a wizard private investigator, gets into trouble and finds a way out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I finished Rogue Rider yesterday (love love love that world. Horsemen series is done, sadly, but we will have Reaver's story next in a new Demonica series) and Jim Butcher's Cold Days and Jonathan Howard's The Fear Institute are next on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous7:08 PM

    I've started a "read during Christmas" stack of books with Bujold's newest (Captain Vorpatril's Alliance) and Laurie King's latest, to which I will now add Nightbred - these should keep me warm and cozy through the holidays!
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  25. 30 Pieces of Silver by Carolyn McCray an ebook from Amazon:
    The Eiffel Tower is attacked…by a Christian suicide bomber.
    Within the twisted wreckage a cache of bones is found. Bones that are inscribed with ancient Greek, letters that identify the remains as those of John the Baptist—and a promise to guide the seeker to the tomb of the Savior himself.
    Tasked with untangling this millennia-old mystery, Dr. Rebecca Monroe, a paleo-archeologist, and Special Forces, Sergeant Vincent Brandt are hounded across three continents to attempt to piece together the bones’ clues. But their quest will not be an easy one. Born at the foot of the Cross, a secret society known only as the Knot has guarded the Savior’s bones, and they will do anything—even commit genocide—to protect the dark and controversial truth of Christ’s final days.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You wrote on a previous blog that we needed to tell you now if we wanted the darkyn series to continue. YES PLEASE
    I have read all of them and really want to see more.
    PLEASE DON'T STOP NOW!
    It's so rare I find a series that I like and I would love to see more from this world
    Pretty Please keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  27. bn1008:41 PM

    I'm reading Wicked nights by Gena Showalter.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I cannot WAIT for the day that I'm no longer immersed in complex historical texts (what was I thinking taking all of these history courses?) Currently on my "to read" pile are my freshly received copy of Nightbred, and two books from the Lord John series by Diana Gabaldon. It's going to be a nice Christmas break ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just finished DAUGHTER OF TEXAS by Celia Hayes and have just started reading DEADLY PATTERNS by Melissa Bourbon. I'm not sure what's next, but maybe I'll begin Deneane Clark's Virtue Series. I have the first three books in the series (GRACE, FAITH and CHARITY) and I believe MERCY, book four, is due to release soon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've started a pile to be read during my dysfunctional family Christmas (I am on high blood pressure meds, so I can't drink thru the holidays) ... a Mary Balogh Christmas two-novels-in-one, Kresley Cole's "Shadow's Claim", your very own "Nightbred" (whoot!!! can't wait!!!), and "Making an Impression: Designing & Creating Artful Stamps" by illustrator & blogger Geninne D. Zlatkis.

    But I could always use more books on the pile. My family Christmas is shaping up to be even more hideous than usual this year ... [save me]

    - Bonz

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am reading Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio. I'm also planning to read Shiver by Karen Robards.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cold Days by Jim Butcher. Love me some Dresden!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just finished the hilariously fluffy Touched by an Alien by Gini Koch and am enjoying the series. Up next is Suzanne McLeod's The Scent of Blood which looks very promising!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Im planning to get Nightbred, Iced and Delusion in Death for winter reading.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am going to read 'A Notorious Countess Confesses' by Julie Ann Long next. I also need to read the 3rd Horseman book, I bought the first two in PB and then went digital but I hate switching it up mid-series so I am not sure what to do there. Conflicted!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Reading Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

    ReplyDelete
  37. great reads there. and A couple i've not read. But Kresley Cole's newest one is a must buy too. It's out now.

    ReplyDelete