Saturday, January 08, 2011

Odd Times

In a short while I should hear how well Frostfire did with its release week sales. I have been asked if/where I think my novel might land on the lists, and that's a tough question. Shadowlight, debuted at #17 on the Times mass market, and Dreamveil made the extended list at #26, but that doesn't guarantee anything.

New release-wise, January has always been a lucky month for me, but most of the time titles that were released in December roll over onto the lists. I just took a look at the Times mass market, and nearly all of the listers are Big Names with huge bestsellers (very tough competition for yours truly.) There has been lots of positive buzz about Frostfire, and I know many of you have gotten your readers, family and friends to buy the novel, which I appreciate more than I can say. It's also the third novel in a series, and that's the point where you start losing new-to-you readers, so believe me, every sale helps.

Basically, though, I have no idea how well it will do. My non-psychic intuition tells me (in keeping with the other stuff that's already happened in 2011) that this book's performance is going to be odd. Odd-good or odd-bad, I can't say. Could go in either direction.

But we should have some fun with it, so let's have another Times Pool. In comments to this post, tell me if you think my novel Frostfire will make the NY Times mass market bestseller list. If you don't, simply put "no" (and you won't hurt my feelings if you vote no.) If you do, put "yes" and guess at what number it will appear on the list or the extended list (that would be a number between 1 and 30.)

Once the Times lists for the week of January 23rd are released (I believe that's the list I have a shot at), I will close the pool, announce how Frostfire did (or didn't) do, and award the person who guessed correctly a BookWish*. If more than one person posts the correct guess, I will put all of the names of those who are correct in the magic hat and draw one at random to be the winner.

This pool is open to everyone on the planet, even if you've won something here at PBW in the past.

*A BookWish is any book of your choice available to order from an online bookseller, up to a maximum cost of $30.00 U.S. (I'll throw in whatever shipping is involved.)

58 comments:

  1. I am no good at these things, but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say YES, & it will be on the list at lucky number 13! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes and I'm going with 21.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. #15. I think this is the number I guessed last year, too. I'm quite predictable. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. #22 jumped into my head, so I'll go with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such a cool giveaway, Lynn! :) Hmm, let's see...I'm going to guess #7. Best of luck!!

    ~TRA

    http://xtheredangelx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say...yes at 29.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tamith12:55 AM

    Yes, and I'm betting on #17, but hoping it goes higher. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kris S.1:37 AM

    Yes, it will and I'm going to say 22. That was the first number that popped into my yarn-tangled mind.

    Toes crossed for excellent news.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes and I'm going with number 12!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm, of course it will, but at what number? I'll say #17 for no other reason than it's my older son's age...for the moment :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:21 AM

    yes - 15

    ReplyDelete
  12. #24. (Though if it's 19, I'm gonna kick myself.)

    And good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes. I think... 10.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, and #25 is calling my name. Good luck! I hope it goes even higher!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd say yes, and choose #28! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous7:41 AM

    Yes - #18. :)
    Best of luck!
    JohannaS

    ReplyDelete
  17. Of course it will. If Dreamveil came in at 26 and Shadowlight was 17, I'm betting Frostfire will hit at #12. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. bluebamboo8:18 AM

    Joining those who say yes at #17. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous8:45 AM

    yes, the fates agree, #11 is for you!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stephanie St.Clair9:10 AM

    Yes. I say #11.

    ReplyDelete
  21. the 17th is my birthday, and it's always been lucky for me. so, yes, of course! and #17.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous10:58 AM

    I have just finished Frostfire and LOVED it! I'm saying yes and #14 on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes...and first number in my head was 15, so I'll go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I say yes, and I'll go with 25, although honestly I think it'll be higher...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes! Muah haa haa, I've already read the uncorrected proof and it rocks! LOL.

    14.

    Go Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Tammy S11:47 AM

    I'll say yes and at #11.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I say yes and pick 27

    ReplyDelete
  28. 15. Definitely I think 15.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I say "Yes" and the first number to pop into my head was 18...go Lynn go...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Don't put me in the draw when I'm right, right being #14.

    ReplyDelete
  31. ClaireCherven3:12 PM

    YES! And I believe it will be at # 23.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I say yes and think you'll hit #16.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think that yes, at number 23.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Susanne6:37 PM

    yes and I pick 28 !

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous8:07 PM

    Yes, and the number 14 strikes me.

    - Raven

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yes! and my guess is 27.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yes and I pick 14

    ReplyDelete
  38. Not playing, but I'm betting on odd-good!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I say definitely yes! I'm not as sure of the number, but I'm going to go with #15. :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Yes at #15

    ReplyDelete
  41. Susan W12:44 AM

    My pick is lucky #13.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Anonymous1:29 AM

    Yes, 30

    WinterFall

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anonymous5:20 PM

    I vote YES, I don't know the # but I would put it higher than Shadowlight but I am a HUGE Fan!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I said 20 kinda between the first two. I just finished it this weekend and loved it but have tons more questions now :)

    Reese

    ReplyDelete
  45. Yes it will!!! I must guess lucky #13.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I say #7. :-)

    Hugs,
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  47. Yes, 16. :-) I bought it on Friday and finished it by the next night. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Yes, of course it will, around #16 I think. I'm saving my copy for maternity leave, so I can read it all at once with as little interruption as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  49. LaurieF7:30 PM

    Going with Yes and #14. Great series and I think the cover will make a difference. It will catch the attention of those who don't already know how good the series is. Best cover in the series so far! P.S I bought the book too!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Anonymous3:51 AM

    Yes and I'm going to guess #8!!!The cover alone drew me in I'm sure others will be too. All of your books so far have been a non stop marathon read for me so I should think that would get it in the top 10 at the least.

    JenO
    Victoria BC

    ReplyDelete
  51. Anonymous7:24 AM

    Yes, 12.

    ReplyDelete