Ten Things to Help with Your Text
Freeware caution: always scan free downloads of anything for bugs and other threats before dumping the programs into your hard drive.
1. Recover your keystrokes with Emsa Save My Work freeware.
2. The freeware version of iDailyDiary is a note-taking/journaling program has a rich text editor that can insert graphics, URL, Hypertext links and links to other diary pages.
3. Keep your text in user defined categories with Wicked Orange's Notes freeware.
4. Paddy freeware (scroll down) is "a small text file viewer with some configuration options for colors and fonts" that "can also be used with Linux type files."
5. PDF Text Reader freeware converts .pdf files to .txt files.
6. Extract text from .pdf, .doc, .rtf, .chm, and .html files with Text Mining Tool freeware.
7. Text Crawler freeware allows you to "instantly find and replace words and phrases across multiple files and folders."
8. "Easily split a selected text file into any number of text files" with Text Split freeware.
9. Tom's eTextReader freeware allows you to read text files onscreen in book format, select window size and font size/styles, edit the text and bookmark it.
10. Merge multiple text files into a single file with TXTCollector freeware.
"The first book is free" -- for the readers out there, author/playwright Richard Engling has offered his SF novel Body Mortgage for free download here.